This visit links into our work around 'Pathway 2’ beds where patients are discharged from an acute hospital into a care home or community hospital to receive rehabilitation before returning home.
- The environment appeared calm and orderly, and the staff were all very welcoming.
- Staff appear kind, they know the patients and we witnessed good interaction between them.
- Although patients are encouraged to do much for themselves, there is still a sense of them being waited on at their bedside, for example, with their drinks and meals.
- We particularly liked that each patient has a personal ‘about me’ information board on the wall behind their bed.
- Several patients were confused about when they had arrived at West Mendip Hospital and whether the discharge process from the acute hospital had gone smoothly.